There are two main types of hair used in the alternative hair industry. Human Hair and Synthetic Hair both have advantages and disadvantages which can make them the right choice in different situations. Both can be great choices for you just depending on your budget, time, and needs. Optimally, you will choose to have both on hand as they each have their superiority! In this article, the LA Wig Company will examine the Pros and the Cons of Synthetic Hair Wigs.
What is Synthetic Hair?
Synthetic hair like human hair is a polymer. It is composed of fine plastic fibers, manufactured to look like human hair.
In its basic form, synthetic hair is made from low-grade acrylic that is heated and strung into strands. The strands are then laced or tied into extensions and hairpieces. Over the last 20 years polymer science has advanced massively to offer broader lines of synthetic hair products that can look and feel like real hair.
Lower grade synthetic hair fibers can be found in costume wigs. These low grade fibers lack the movement and texture of real hair and their appearance is waxy and plastic. The fibers range in type from straight to kinky/curly with coarse surfaces to silky/smooth surfaces.
There are several types of synthetic hair wigs available, including styles from these brands:
Kanekalon Fiber is certainly the most prevalent and popular for daily wear wigs and hair pieces. However others on this list use fiber manufactured according to the Kanekalon process. This fiber is characterized by a natural feeling, lighter, softer hair with more natural body that is both flexible and comfortable.
Pros and Cons of Synthetic Wigs –
- Low Maintenance: A shake and brush is all it takes to maintain the pre-styled look and the wig can be worn instantaneously with no fuss or bother. Women who do not want to be bothered with styling a wig on a daily basis may prefer a synthetic wig.
- Great Color Retention: Synthetic fibers retain their color permanently. Of course, this may also be considered a negative point by some women, as synthetic wigs cannot be successfully recolored.
- Lower Cost: Synthetic hair wigs are almost always less expensive than those made from human hair with a broad variety of styles and cuts ranging from $100 to $400.
- Broad Selection: Synthetic hair wig purchasers have never had it so good. Hundreds of fine quality styles and cuts are available from the largest and most respected wig manufacturers in the industry with a broad array of colors. It is easier to find your style/cut/color of choice than ever before.
- Quality: Recent advances in technology have eliminated a lot of the traditional barriers to synthetic hair wigs. Quality is excellent and reliable. Synthetic wigs are worth a look before committing to the higher cost of human hair wigs.
- Unnatural Look: Although the differences are subtle, there is still a tendency towards a less flowing and a more sculpted appearance. With lower grade synthetic wigs the differences in shine and flow can be quite distinct and easy to spot.
- Permanent Styling: If a woman is into her looks, likes variety, and becomes bored with the same hairstyle day after day, or fears that people will suspect she is wearing a wig, a synthetic wig may not be the right option.
- Coloring: Options for coloring synthetic hair wigs are limited and not entirely without risk. The synthetic wig must be dyed with ink. If a wearer uses a regular hair dye, he or she risks the dye running off or bleeding because synthetic wigs have hair that does not absorb regular dye like human hair.
- Discomfort: Constant rubbing on the collar can lead to irritation and synthetic hair wigs are less able to ‘breath’ than human hair wigs and can be hot and itchy in warm weather.
- Heat: Synthetic wigs made from Kanekalon are termed heat resistant up to around 400 degrees. For styling using curlers and tongs at low heat there is no problem but do remain mindful that synthetic hair is a polymer and it can and will melt at extreme heat. Exposure to open ovens or heat lamps can damage synthetic wigs beyond repair.
Where do I buy good quality Synthetic Wigs?
The Los Angeles Wig Company offers a broad range of Synthetic Wigs from fine manufacturers such as Jon Renau, Noriko, Rene Of Paris and Raquel Welch. Subscribe to Discount Alerts for announcements on Wigs on Sale at the LA Wig Company.